Jan 7, 2021

1954 Hopalong 'Bill' Partridge



Cnr Hourigan Lane and Brougham Street

Hourigan Lane led up to the rear of the Piccadilly Hotel and ran to the left (behind the terrace houses along Brougham Street). 

At night the lane was frequented by left-over inebriates from the 'Pica-lilly' and  'methos' their maudlin was accompanied by the screeching of alley cats. Facing west, a lone trumpeter stood, baying at the moon.  I awoke to the clatter of  tin bins on asphalt.

The garbage truck was heralded by a team leather-gloved giants! 

Squeezing its way up Hourigan Lane to empty the bins from the back gates of the folk from Victoria Street. Occasionally they handed us discarded toys. I never took these items home, but instead, hid them behind some bricks in the Winton Flats wall.  I wonder if they are still there??  The residents showed their appreciation by handing the 'garbos' a bottle of beer come Christmas time. 


Bill straddled the tram line up the centre of William Street, directing the traffic with one crutch waving. The tram clanging its bell as she crawled up behind him.



He reached the crest on Brougham Street, Hourigan Lane, on dusk and settled up against the front of #90, using the wall and crutch as support. A stream of liquid exited via his trouser leg, wound past us leaving black streaks in its wake. My mother hosed down the footpath every evening at 4.50 p.m. in the ready for Bill's next emission. Bill's posh accent could be detected as he dogged his hat and remarked,  'Goot evennink, Miss'

Bill lived in #88 with his sister Mrs. Partridge, a rangy lady well into her 80s. Mrs. Partridge never yelled in a 'Woolloomooloo voice', but leant over the railing and gently coaxed him home. My mother never shuffled me away from Old Bill. I guessed it was his long ago suit and posh accent that distinguished him from the metho swilling Norwegians whose blue faces attested to their preference. I assumed all Norwegians had blue faces.

When Bill and Bella died in the mud 60s, we purchased their terrace for 2000 pounds. I never did hear what happened to his other leg.


2 comments:

mandy said...

Great story Lynne....

Oh yes and I love the bow....lol

Lynne said...

Thanks Mandy, I just visited your site but couldn't get in, I'll try later.